Inspirational

Inspirational

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Following the Process ~ Craftsman/Pottery Barn House, Part II

During our first meeting, we talked about overall budget, likes and dislikes, and surprisingly we ironed out a few his and her conflicts right there on the spot. It was a battle of tile floor or wood floor in the kitchen and stained cabinets or white painted.  Wood floors and white cabinets won. That gave us all a bit of confidence that we were a good fit and had a place to start from.  I went home with the commitment to spend 3-4 hours, possibly more, and return within a couple of weeks with wall colors, hardwood floor samples, cabinet styles and stains, countertop materials, backsplash materials and designs, tile floor selections, initial bathroom designs, carpets - one of the study, another for the rest of the home.  I stole a couple of pictures she had ripped out of magazines and she followed up with a few emails of some design elements she already knew she liked.  Overall theme:  modest priced home, craftsman details, nothing too trendy, timeless materials for the most part, and a willingness to incorporate a splash of grey and a little blue or green.  With that in mind....let the process begin...

Here are a couple of her pictures and notes.  

She liked the white cabinets and wood floors.  I also know she was hoping to incorporate a little bit of glass cabinet doors.  At this point we are not thinking about doing white countertops and we are leaning towards doing simple, timeless, classic white subway tiles as backsplash.


I think before the process even started, the husband had determined we were going with white painted mill work.  Non-negotiable.  With a white kitchen agreed upon by all, I didn't need to argue.  :)  They both would like the main color of the home to be a light tan, but are exploring adding a little blue and a little grey either to the master or the bathrooms, or laundry.  She sent me this picture to see the wall color she is drawn to.  I think she sent me three separate pictures of blue rooms she liked.  Nice thing was they were consistently the same look.  That makes my job easier! At this point, I have designed their home for the blue to be used in the master bedroom and bathroom.  Stay tuned.  :)


Then I began gathering a few of my own for inspiration and to keep me on track.  Designers too can get a.d.d.!  We just know the cure.  Get back to the basics.  Listen to your client.  Stay true to the design of the home.  Don't stop designing until you love what you have created.  Check back to make sure the materials and colors transition beautifully from one room to another.  My favorite techniques in designing:  cross-pollinate and texture.






With their more modest budget, we won't be able to do an upper row of cabinets up to the ceiling as this picture portrays, but the paned glass is timeless, the use of drawers in the design are classy, the dark grey countertops, stainless steel, clean lines, symmetry.  A lot is right with this kitchen that we can mimic in our design. 



We are undecided at this time about whether or not they are going to put a vent or microwave above their stove.  I wanted to show them this set up because I think the oven/microwave/tv set up is an awesome option.  This kitchen also shows the subway tiles they like and the hardwood floors.  But again, I am going to suggest a darker countertop.  But here are the classy paned uppers again.  I bet we will end up mixing them up a bit more though like my first picture.  


One of the things I mentioned in my initial consultation was I would like them to price out and consider using cabinet panels on their refrigerator or at least dishwasher.  I think it screams custom.  The husband seemed hesitant and had concerns about how it would look.  This picture is for him.  Most of the pictures I have gathered show a stainless hood, stainless refrigerator and even stainless stove/microwave combo.  So, if I win and get the dishwasher with cabinet panels I'll be a happy camper.  I wouldn't complain with that compromise.  :)


They didn't ask me about window style but I'm throwing in my 2 cents anyway.  I love this architectural detail and I think windows are a big deal.  This classic detail shows up again in the paned uppers in the kitchen.  Having details run throughout a home, both exterior and interior, are a way to really create continuity and flow.  That magical feeling of details noticed.  I also am going to see what they think of this wains coat.  I think it's a timeless and very craftsman detail.  I wouldn't over do it.  Maybe put it in the laundry room or maybe in the powder room.

More to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment