Inspirational

Inspirational

Monday, November 7, 2011

White Kitchens | Dark Countertops



We don't always associate drama with traditional.  But we can and we should.  Especially when it comes to kitchens....


 


I was sick last week and watched a lot of HGTV.  Most of the shows I can hardly stand (and no I am NOT talking about you, Candice Olsen!  You never cease to amaze me!)  Sometimes I watch those other shows though anyway and yell out "no, no, no!" (Ask my husband, it's true!)  So this week, I was watching House Hunters and this couple toured this older home with this awesome white kitchen.  It just dragged me in like it always does.  So this blog entry is devoted to white kitchens. 

 

This kitchen isn't dressed up yet, girls.  Use your imagination.  Put a woven wood shade above that window.  Some great rattan-y barstools.  It's warming up already.  But the bones of this white kitchen are beautiful.  And timeless.

The very traditional, tried and true, way to do a white kitchen is great, simple or ornate - the whole range works - crisp or creamy white cabinets, with dark countertops...  but what about the backsplash?

 

I'm sorry.  This (below) is not boring to me!  You can't ever ever go wrong with white subway tiles!  Never!


What about the wall color?  Do we try something new or stick with what works?  


The thing I love about a white cabinetry and dark countertop kitchen is that it even looks good in a budgeted-down version.  There are some affordable white cabinets out there with simple lines.  There are some really do-able dark charcoal limestone laminates out there I must admit I do not hate!  :)  And white subway tiles can be purchased just about anywhere.  

 

Done well. And could be replicated on an entry-level budget quite easily.


(This kitchen above actually has a few higher-end features like stacked cabinets, etc.  
But the size is very modest and the basic style and the feel of the cabinets
and countertops could very easily be re-produced with 
entry-level price point materials for this look.)

I'm going to throw in a couple of images of white cabinets with light countertops.  You will see.  Quite lovely, but you lose the drama.  Not the beauty, just the initial wow.


 

Here the drama is introduced by the cabinetry in the island. 

So if you're looking for timeless on a budget or even timeless high end but want your kitchen to have a little punch when you walk in.  White cabinets, dark countertops.  You just can't go wrong!





  Afraid it'll be too boring?  Wrong!  Do something creative with the floor!


 Incorporate bat and board ceiling, a crystal chandelier, beadboard detail, butcher block countertops, stacked, paned and open glass paneled doors.  The details are endless to mix it up a bit.  Anything but boring!  There's so much to look at you almost don't notice the white stove which I would not have done! :)

 
 
Still not sure if lighter counters are better?  See for yourself. It's a toughie on this one!


Quite quite stunning.  With the warmer toned floors. 
I would put this kitchen in my house any day and burn this article on dark countertops.  :)
 
 Seeing too many photos of light backsplashes?  Curious how dark would look?

Not for you?  How about something in the grey tones?  Something textural.... ?
 

Stunning!

How do you transition your wonderful white kitchen into the rest of your home?  The office?


The dining room?


And what does my dream white kitchen look like?  Just in case you're curious.... 
 


Okay, I got my fix for now.  I live in Cle Elum, Washington. Right in the middle of the mountains.  So.... here we do wood cabinets.  Not too many white.  So, I guess sometimes I just get a hankering to see a beautiful white kitchen.  Hope you enjoyed.  I'm inspired.  I guess I'll have to move to Nantucket and find a new clientele! :)

Kristi

No comments:

Post a Comment